BETWEEN KAMARINA AND CHIARAMONTE
The fertile plain between the rivers Ippari and Dirillo, called by the Romans "plaga mesopotamium", played an essential role in the settlement and economic processes of this area situated at the foot of the Hyblaean Mountains. Occupied by the Greeks of Kamarina on the coast and surrounded by indigenous inhabitants inland, this region immediately developed a natural agricultural activity and, in Roman times, became the site of a flourishing wine production. The rise of Chiaramonte Gulfi and Comiso in the Middle Ages and Vittoria in 1607, led to an intensive exploitation of these lands driven mostly by the local noble families, whose richness endowed the town centers with outstanding works of art and architecture. Rebuilt almost entirely after the earthquake of 1693, Chiaramonte, Comiso and Vittoria, despite not boasting the same late Baroque heritage of the nearby UNESCO cities, are still a must for the curious travelers.